Tuesday, March 29, 2011

dessert tonight

What used to be my signature cookie - triple chocolate. Definitely not clean. Very sad, this is.
I've been attempting to keep my eating relatively "clean" to lose the last ten prego-pounds (for more on eating clean, check out this fantastic site I just discovered), but I still have the WORST sweet tooth ever. So I'm constantly on the hunt for healthy treats. Tonight I'm trying fudge cakes with...get ready...black beans! I've made them before, and they do the trick for me. Just be prepared; they're not going to taste like delectable, fudgy brownies. But they work in a pinch when I have a hankering for chocolate. Here's the recipe, courtesy of Clean Eating magazine.


Black Bean Fudge Cakes
INGREDIENTS
Olive oil cooking spray
1 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater)
1 1/2 cups soft-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained (I used a full 15 oz can)
2 eggs
1 egg white
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 heaped cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 to 1/2 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350F. Mist an 8-inch square with cooking spray.
Melt dark chocolate in a small saucepan over low with 1 tbsp water mixed in.
Combine melted chocolate, beans, eggs, egg white, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and honey in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake in preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides, about 30 minutes.
Garnish each piece with a dollop of nonfat Greek-style yogurt, if desired.
Nurients per serving: Calories 230 / Total Fat 12 g / Sat. Fat 2 g / Carbs 28 g/ Fiber 4 g / Sugar 19 g / Protein 5 g / Sodium 120 mg/ Cholesterol 45 mg

1 comment:

MagzD said...

They are sooooooo good!! I've made them a few times - love :)