Thursday, May 5, 2011

update: life

10:48 pm. Trav is having a few beers with his best buddy (a few....?) Isla is in bed. Baby monitor beside me. I just finished working out and am drinking a chocolate protein shake. It's an attempt at getting a bit more serious before I have to don my bikini in a few weeks...eight stinkin' pounds until I'm where I wanna be. (And it certainly doesn't help that Trav got Grandma to babysit this afternoon and took me to Lincoln Lawyer...the popcorn smelled divine! So obviously, I copped a few handfuls. Oh, the movie was really great too...a nice introduction back into our favourite nerdy pastime).

Anyway, life has been crazy the past few weeks. It's funny...you'd think technically being "at home" full-time would make the days feels different from the usual nine to five. I guess partly it's me...I thrive on a day that includes a list of at least five bullets being checked off...otherwise I feel as if I haven't accomplished much, haven't given the day all the potential it deserves. In theory it makes sense, but I can get pretty OCD about it. I'm trying to remind myself of just how crazily quickly Isla is growing, and to drink in EVERY SINGLE MOMENT. It's hard, especially with each day blending into the next. I now understand why Moms say they wish they could freeze time. And Isla isn't even three months old yet!

So what's been going on? I've been subbing dance, which I've been loving. Taking Isla with me and getting back into the studio just feels good. I had to play music last-minute at competition the other day (silly mixup, but I wasn't going to not go...loooooove the competition air!), and Trav had to work last minute as it turned out. So I strapped Isla on with the Baby Bjorn, and backstage we went. Think I'm a crazy stage Mom in the making? Haha.

I've also been helping people with their resumes. I just posted a small ad on kijiji, and the response hasn't been half-bad! It's nice to use my technical skills again. I've also got a few writing assignments that I'm about to start with Alberta Conservation; it's nice to stay in touch with them when I'm on maternity leave.

Along with making some extra cash (so we can make my dream come true and go to Maui this winter...Trav doesn't know my master plan yet), I've been slowly working away at finishing up the nursery, living room and guest room. Isla and I are finally enjoying some outdoor walks (not just in Costco!), and I'm trying to stay in touch with other mommies. I need to get in touch with my local Moms' group...I think it would be good for us since I tend to stay close to home if given a choice. Time to get out and meet the people of our new neighbourhood!

Trav and I are leaving for BC at the end of the month to make the rounds with my relatives. I'm beyond excited! It's been far too long, and there's just something about BC...the air is different. It's lovely.

Oh, Trav's at the door. Must've been just a few beers after all. Nighty night.

1 comment:

crystal.cattle said...

I was wondering if you had made the decision to be a stay at home mom or this was just a temporary thing. Living in the U.S. now I keep forgetting how awesome Alberta is and that mom's actually get a proper maternity leave. In the U.S. a lot of companies don't give it, and it is often not paid, so mom's will either quit working or only be home for a month or two.

I think it is awesome that you take her to dance events with you. She'll be a natural dancer!

www.crystalcattle.com