Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sketch-town

Ahhh...

Meeting is done, that mega dance grant is off my desk, and I'm finally back to this blog. It's been a little crazy since I got home from Kelowna late Saturday night. (dance choreography, cutting holes in our walls for renos...more on that later..., wedding planning, etc.)

K-town was great, as it always is. Gen's fab parents let us stay at their house again, and we mostly lounged around, ate a lot (hello nachos!!), shopped, wandered around downtown, jumped on the trampoline (I miss it so much!) and went out for drinks. I may have found my wedding dress too! I'll know as soon as I do a whole shopping day with Mom, Nat and Tara on the 13th. Then I'll make my decision.

Most of the trip was uneventful, at least until the very last night. It sure made up for it! It all started at Gotcha's, where a girl dropped her cell phone in the bathroom. I found it after she left, and Natalie said she knew which girl had it. She also said this girl was easy to pick out because she was obviously on something. And oh my, was she ever! She was so drugged up she couldn't speak and could barely walk. We asked her if she had dropped her phone, holding it up to her face, and she choked on her words, growled strangely, and then ran off. So we had a nice, new blackberry. I think it eventually ended up in the hands of a bouncer (I hope).

A few minutes after that, someone told me Sean Kingston was there, and sure enough, I spotted him standing by the bar. I went to find Gen so we could talk to him, but by the time I found her he was gone. Damn.

After that, us three decided we needed a drink, when a guy tried to grab Natalie. I shook my head no when she said "please don't." As I continued walking, he tried to grab me, and Natalie repeated (and she was still polite about it) "we said don't." And with that, he exploded. Screaming at us the worst of all swears and names, shaking his hand at us, arm above his head to hit us. His buddies all started yelling at us too, absolutely spastic and angry. I was completely baffled...were they yelling at someone else? It couldn't possibly be us because we did nothing wrong! It was us though, and they continued to freak out. All five of them were right up in our face, until a bus boy ran into Natalie, and she told him we needed help. Two seconds later, about six bouncers hauled them all out. They fought, and were still yelling names at us. One coward shut up and turned his back, so he didn't get thrown out. We were afraid they'd be waiting outside for us since it was close to closing time, but thankfully, we didn't see them the rest of the night. I've never, ever had someone speak to me that way. EVER. I was so angry. At least we took the high road out.

And the night only continued to get crazier...

Once outside, we struggled to find a cab. In the meantime we grabbed some pizza and warded off several creepy dudes (one who insisted his buddy got a $250 speeding ticket simply from TALKING about speeding). We were waiting on the street, and a few sketchy guys (FUBU jersey's, chains, the whole bit) started asking us to go to their pool party. I felt safe because a cop car was parked on the street right next to us. We politely refused, but they were persistent, and as they continued to ask, a second car came whipping up with its sirens on. All the cops jumped out from both cars and shouted "you're under arrest!" They threw the guys we were talking to onto the cars, searched them and shoved them into the back. It was crazy! I'm still wondering what those guys did...they seemed to know exactly why they were being arrested.

After that, a couple of somewhat normal guys chatted with us as we were waiting. Soon enough, one of the FUBU guys (who must've managed to hide while the cops were there) came up and started bugging us again. Long story short (and it was quite amusing), he had his shirt off and was ready to fight. Natalie called the police and was on the phone for 20 minutes. FINALLY, we saw a cabbie, waved him down, and got the heck out of there!

And that's my story of sketch-town.

No comments: