Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Spring makes me feel crafty.


I love home decor...especially on the cheap! On the weekend I had a bout of motivation for a couple of last-minute projects, despite the fact I had to finish 90 wedding invitations. I think I can credit it to some new blog inspiration...thisyounghouse.com is fabulous...and saving money is always at the forefront of their posts.

So for a quick mini-makeover (sorry, I have no before pictures...I need to start doing that so I can see the changes!) I whipped out some paint, some paper, my handy new Wal-Mart paper cutter, and...

Here's project one:



I found these frames at Good Will about four years ago for three dollars. You can tell when you flip them around that they're completely handmade, which I think is super cool. Shortly after I got them I spray painted them this colour. After a few moves they got thrown in a box and forgotten about, until now! I pulled them out on the weekend, took some 100 grit sand paper to them for antique-y worn look and gave the glass a good cleaning. I then went through my wedding decor and scrapbooking boxes and found these beautiful dollar store papers I hadn't found use for yet. A few quick slices and my hand dandy hanging skills (I don't need Trav for this! : ) ) and ta da! This is what I ended up with and I'm quite pleased with the results! And all for about six bucks. Not bad.

Project two is very simple. I've had this corner shelf since I moved out on my own five years ago. It's a Wal-Mart special. I think it was around twenty bucks. Anyway, I felt like this corner of our kitchen was looking dark and blah, and then I thought, why not paint that shelf? I didn't feel like pulling out our cans of wall paint, so I looked again in my wedding box and remembered that I have a ton of this acrylic craft paint from the dollar store. And it worked like a charm! Three quick coats and this corner is lighter and brighter. Notice I moved Hank's water to the bottom shelf - now the bottom shelf has a purpose while clearing up some floor space.

(Hank's ear[s] frequently make random appearances in my photos...)

My next project is to completely revamp my dresser in our bedroom. It's in great shape, quite large, but is made of that dreaded, outdated dark wood. Right now I'm on the hunt for some beautiful glass knobs to highlight the fresh white/light blue combo I plan to paint it, and I found some I love at anthropologie.com (great place for inspiration!) but it'll cost me $115 for seven of them with shipping!!! AHH! I don't think so. I may have to wait until the store opens in West Ed. I do have my heart set on them. So stay tuned...hopefully that project can happen sooner rather than later!

Some of the knobs from Anthropologie I love...I think the second one is my fave.




This mini makeover was the quickest! Old bedding that was taking up closet space is a perfect solution for Hank's new bed. Trav build a wood frame that sits underneath the thick, cozy comforter, and that pillow used to be my favourite...until Hank took a bite out 
of it (I flipped it around so you can't see it.)

4 comments:

crystal.cattle said...

I really like the frames, and all your little projects. It always amazes me of all the new stores that have opened in West Ed when I come home.

sblendid said...

at first look i thought hank's bed was a new guest bed. Good thing it's for puppies and not humans! :)

MagzD said...

I wish I had an ounce of your craftiness!! Although, you did inspire me to finally put up 3 whole pictures in my living room this winter ;)

RobynBeazley said...

Hey! I LOVE your projects!! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring. I really like the 2nd knob also ;) Hope you have an amazing day!