Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blah blah blah brochure...

In the words of Ke$ha. And look at that, I remembered the dollar sign in her name! But enough about her...I want to spend some time on something far more interesting...BROCHURES.

Ha. If you're in the communications industry you'll understand what I mean...it seems every client, and often your coworkers, liken the word "brochure" to being the ultimate problem solver...the answer to every conundrum. Or at the very least, a really sticky bandaid.

You see, a lot of time and effort can go into a brochure...and usually this exceeds the proposed budget. And the worst part? No one reads the damn thing except the people who created it.

I'm not saying brochures should be shunned and never ever considered. All I'm saying is that it's worthwhile to consider other collateral options. Maybe you don't even need collateral at all! Maybe it's a contest you advertise through twitter instead. Maybe it's a calendar. Old school, I know...but how many houses or garages have you been in where a small business calendar hangs on the wall, boasting the company name and phone number day in and day out? That's certainly miles above the bottom of a recycling bin.

Right now I'm exploring options other than a brochure...have you ever seen something worthwhile that WASN'T a brochure? That you actually read? That actually stuck with you?

Bye Bye Bye Brochure. (N*Sync of course...notice I remembered the star. There is a star, right?)

I won't miss you too much...because I know in all liklihood I'll be seeing you again.

1 comment:

MagzD said...

I hate brochures almost as much as I hate the flyer-boy...
I'm a fan of magnets (vs. business cards) and magnetic notepads!
Love the twitter contest though...