Thursday, April 1, 2010

Neti-what?

My sinuses always bother me around this time of year. I'm recovering from a cold I've had for about a week, and now allergies are just around the corner. The only way I've been able to sleep this week is a few squirts of my crack, Dristan. Trust me, nasal spray addictions are the worst because when you do finally check yourself into rehab and go cold turkey, you feel the pain. Not being able to breathe is so uncomfortable...all you can think about all day long.

So after complaining about this on fb, and old aquaintance of mine suggested a neti-pot. I've heard of it a long time ago, maybe once...and now I'm curious. Any experiences using it? It looks really uncomfortable, but to think I'd be washing out my entire nasal cavity is rather exciting. It's like ear candling...I really want to try that too.

Sorry for the gross post. I hope you understand that my addiction to Dristan is taking over.

Here's a bit of what wiki had to say:
Neti pots flush out the nasal cavities by using gravity to draw the flow of saline. Historically, neti pots were used in yoga to assist in clearing the nasal passages, since controlled breathing plays a central role in yoga. The neti pot was introduced to the West approximately thirty years ago, and today many people in the West have taken up a modified type of Neti practice called Jala Neti (water neti) using a neti pot.

The use of a neti pot requires mixing up a saline solution (salt and water) that will be poured through the nasal passages. The neti pot used with a saline solution has been shown to be an effective treatment for hay fever, sinusitis, and other nasal conditions. A conference abstract presented in November 2009 indicated that frequent nasal irrigation led to higher rates of sinus infections - though short term use seemed to be effective.

So I'm thinking about it...is it hokey? Or is it a natural way to get some relief?

1 comment:

crystal.cattle said...

My roommate develops lots of sinus infections and suffers from seasonal allergies as well. She started using one this Winter, and thinks it has really helped. She said it just takes a little bit of time to master using it.

And congrats on the new job!

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com