Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tackling Tuna

I was a sugar freak. Addict. Chocolate pop-tarts for breakfast was a common occurrence...so was chocolate chip cookies. Or often, nothing at all.

Fast forward nine years, and I think I can officially call myself a healthy eater. Although I try not to be about labels...I'm a big believer in enjoying things in moderation. I've found though through my eating overhaul that small changes set you up for the bigger ones - and it just gets easier as you start feeling better.

I started fairly small - no pop. Diet or otherwise. Once I handled that and didn't miss it (I was never much of a pop drinker, and when it come alcohol, I'm all about the vodka water), I eliminated all juices with added sugar. Since then, here's some small changes I've made...not that I don't enjoy the "off-limits" things once in a while, but it's what I try to avoid almost every day.

1. No pop/fruit punch (any beverage with added sugar)
2. No white sugar
3 No refined flour
4. Only natural peanut butter
5. Chocolate 70% cocoa or higher

Those are the main ones...I also avoid HFCS, sodium benzoate, MSG...basically anything I can't pronounce! As a side note, did you know that in Canadian-made products, HFCS is labeled as glucose-fructose? Sneaky sneaky!

The other bonus with my small changes is that I try new foods - I was a pretty "safe" eater (but not really because I was eating crap!) I now love zucchini, tomatoes, onions, salmon (getting used to it anyway), asparagus, sweet potato...that's a big step for me! I now love to cook and bake...it's can be stressful...but usually I find it relaxing and have a sense of accomplishment when everyone enjoys the food I've made.

One food I haven't made peace with yet is tuna...I had a nasty childhood experience with it when we visited friends of my Dad's. I remember the lady slapping it out of the can onto a piece of white bread and staring at me as I took one bite and almost threw up. I'm sure it wasn't that bad...I just had the thought my whole life that tuna could possibly kill me...so it's finally on the list for me to eat this week! Hopefully made in a tastier way though...what's the best way to eat it when you're an newbie? I'm thinking a tuna salad sandwich or tuna melt?

I hope tuna won't disappoint me...

No comments: