Thursday, August 7, 2008

All Things Dance.

Last night I burned home from boxing bootcamp and missed out on my usual catch-up sesh with Tara to make sure I caught So You Think You Can Dance. Although I missed the first 15 minutes, I think I got the gist of it. And to be honest, I was a little disappointed. I was looking forward to some unreal numbers. 

Of course I realize how exhausted they must be; I cannot fathom learning an upwards of five or six (add to that tremendously difficult) routines a week! Overall, I love the show, but some things this season have got on my nerves. For one, Nigel's long spiel last night about how Joshua has set the bar for dancers with no training irked me a little. He's had training!! It may not be as intense as the others, but there's many photographs of him taking classes and practicing and proof in the way he moves. There's a big difference between that and truly no training. Courtney...she's average. I feel like I could dance next to her and measure up. She should've left awhile ago. I think Chelsie Hightower should be in her place. That girl has so much spunk and her personality just absolutely radiates. Twitch...eh. He's decent. He's cute. But annoying! When taking the advice from the judges last night, he was making my skin crawl! Especially when he did his whole James Bond imitation...ick. So all in all? I think the title has got to go to Katee. Her technique, consistency, ability to dance almost any style or difficulty, and strength just blow me away.

My Dance Challenge
There's nothing like SYTYCD to get me in the dancing mood. Choreography season is quickly approaching. In fact, I need to start this week on Jenna's lyrical solo. We picked "I'm Scared" by Duffy, which I'm very excited about. I'm glad I get to dabble in lyrical again. It definitely doesn't come as easy to me as jazz, but it's a style I adore. I'll be really getting into it this weekend...wish me lots of creativity!

As well, I hope to start my own lyrical solo. After all, it's one of my goals. I still have the same vision with the pillow and the Kelly Clarkson a capella song. I hope I can transfer it to the stage in the way I'm picturing it in my mind.

Paperwork
And lastly, the crappy part of this dance business. Grants. It's amazing we have opportunities to apply for so much money...but it is a lot of work, especially when I get very little help. I hope the work pays off and I get launch Bon Bon and get "Melt" to become an amazing show brought to stage next year!

No comments: