Monday, October 26, 2009

Cooking you can count on...


I've been in the "experimental" phase of cooking for awhile now: getting to know what Trav likes, what I like, what's quick and easy and what's worth the effort. I try to use new recipes at every opportunity, and while I don't cook quite as much as I'd like, I've started to collect a handful of recipes I can whip up and know they'll be good. Here's a few of my random favourites; try them out if you have a chance. If they turn out for me, I guarantee you'll make them work too.


I had never tried this pasta until I made it myself. So delicious! Wholesome, pure ingredients. And yes, not the lowest in calories but it's real food. Kaitlyn and I whipped it up Friday night while sipping some shiraz – bliss. This is the recipe I use, from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Ree Drummond has taught me so much about cooking and her recipes always turn out. I recommend anything she recommends!


Alright, so I don't make the fries from scratch...McCain actually sells them frozen, and they are a better choice than your regular bag of frozen fries. Since trying sweet potato fries last year Blue Plate downtown, I crave them all the time! However, the mayo-based dip (I know, I know, not the healthiest) is necessity. Always, always. This recipe is easy and quick, and tastes just like the restaurant's dip...if not better!


Again, Pioneer Woman comes through! Never, ever resort KD again.


Such simple ingredients, so crunchy and tasty...if you're craving salt or crunch or potato chips, this will fit the bill. And with heart healthy olive oil...it's a much better choice!


Travis and I love Kelsey's...people make fun of us for going to the family restaurant, but if you try their spinach dip, you'd understand. Fricken amazing! It's exactly why we go. They used to deep fry their pita chips that went along with the dip, but now they have a baked variety...healthier yes, but not quite as exciting. I found this recipe that rips of the Kelsey's original, and it's pretty darn close! Great for parties, snacking, or just because.

I have more recipes...but those are the ones that initially come to mind. I'll have to do a dessert feature later, because we all know I'd rather indulge in a dessert if I had to choose!

No comments: