Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Yep, updates.



I know we say it every year, but haven't the past few months been a blur? I can't believe we're only a few weeks away until we fly off to Jamaica for my best friend's wedding. I really need this vacation!
Our resort.


I've got to work on my maid, or matron (I sound old!) of honour speech. Being a full-time writer, I'm expected to have something funny, fabulous...the pressure is on! I keep putting it off, but I suppose I should just spill out the ideas on the page – dumb or not – and go from there. That's my usual working style...let it all out, then edit away!

In the meantime, I've been planning her stagette. Of course, it's themed...I wouldn't have it any other way! I can't reveal it yet, as she might be reading this...so stay tuned for pictures to follow. It's been a lot of thinking and organizing that has fallen on my shoulders, so I really hope it turns out to be memorable and fun.

Tara and I at a friend's wedding in September.

***

I've been spending a couple nights a week teaching at Dance Alberta, and for the most part, it's been good. A great learning experience! I haven't taught beginners in awhile, so in that sense it's been a challenge. Especially with my younger ones. I have noticed that kids just seem a whole lot lazier these days...is it just me or what? I remember in my classes when I was their age that I was always pushing myself to do better. Practicing and perfecting. They just don't seem to care. One girl asked me why we need to stretch or do a warmup. Another one just constantly asks me when the dancewear will be in so she can prance around in the DA logo and say "I'm a dancer." (I imagine this JT style from his Beyonce skit, ha!) I've been fairly tough on them but I think I need to up the ante. I just need to strike the right balance so they don't hate coming to my class! They'll thank me one day : )

Right now I've perusing costume choices online...fun! There's so much more available than when I used to dance it seems. Hopefully most of them like my choices...it's especially hard with the teens.


No comments: